Dr. John Frank, MD is the Alopecia, Hair Follicle Surgeon and Assistant Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology at Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons and The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio.
Dr. Frank is board certified with the American Board of Otolaryngology and the Diplomate of the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery. He is also an associate fellow of the American College of Surgeons and affiliated with Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
Dr. Frank has been working in hair restoration for almost 15 years. He has treated more than 10,000 patients for hair loss and performed more than 2,500 hair transplants in NYC and beyond. He uses a customized, comprehensive approach to hair restoration that includes FDA-approved drug therapies, a cutting-edge technique called Biocapillation™, and hair transplant surgery.
Dr. Frank received his M.D. from Ohio State University and completed his training in Chicago. After this, he started a plastic surgery clinic in San Francisco, specializing in cosmetic facial plastic surgery and hair transplantation.
Having training and experience in head and neck and skull base, Dr. Frank offers all types of hair and scalp reconstruction, including follicular grafting, flap and reduction procedures, follicular unit extraction and hairline lowering.
Dr. Frank lectures on hair restoration and has published in peer-reviewed medical journals including The Laryngoscope. In addition to being an extraordinary artist, Dr. Frank has also pioneered painless techniques for local anesthesia of the scalp.
Dr. Frank is also an accomplished athlete. At Ohio State, in his senior year, he became captain of the Buckeyes and was elected MVP and voted into the Ohio State’s Sports Hall of Fame. After college, the San Francisco 49ers recruited him where he played for five years through two super bowl championships. During Super Bowl XXIII, John Frank caught one of the first passes from Joe Montana (for a first down) in what would be become one of the longest drives in NFL history. At the top of his game, Dr. Frank left the 49ers to pursue a life long dream of a career in medicine.
He lives in New York with his wife and two children.
Dr. Frank’s Philosophy
Dr. Frank believes that a scalp should be treated individually and that no two scalps are the same. Every treatment given is designed specifically for each individual.
While performing hair transplants in NYC, Dr. Frank has learned that very few alternatives exist for hair loss prevention and treatment. In Dr. Frank’s research, he has discovered a unique treatment and application of products called Biocapillation™. Biocapillation™ is a blend of European trichological techniques and Israeli technology and for the past 15 years has serviced thousands of individuals with hair loss worldwide. In addition to his skill and experience as a New York hair transplant specialist, Dr. Frank is the first person to introduce Biocapillation™ to North America and is excited to find the best solution for you.
- Education, John Frank, MD
- Doctorate of Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- General Surgery Internship, Loyola University, Chicago, IL
- Otolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery, Loyola University
- Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Loyola University and Oak Brook Aesthetics, Oak Brook, IL
- Hair Transplant Surgeon
- New York Medical Association Member
- New York Medical Association Member
- Hair Loss Specialist and Hair Transplant Expert
Membership – Professional Medical Organizations:
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Otolaryngology in Columbia University’s College of Physicians and Surgeons
- American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngology / Head and Neck Surgery
- New York Medical Association
- Diplomate, American Board of Otolaryngology
- Diplomate, American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery
- The International Alliance of Hair restoration Surgeons (IAHRS)
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS)
- The Hair Transplant Medical Association
- The American Hair Loss Association
- Hair Transplant Docs – A clearing house of independent information about the qualifications of hair restoration surgeons.
- National XM Satellite Radio Network’s ‘The Bald Truth – Advice on Sex, Life and Hair Loss’
Publications & Presentations
- How I Do It: Head and neck and plastic surgery: Maxillary removal and reinsertion for improved access to anterior cranial base tumors. Schuller, Goodman, Berna L., Brown, John E. Frank, Kevin J., Ervin-Miller, The Laryngoscope. Volume 102, Issue 2, pages 203–212, February 1992.
- “Contemporary Hair Restoration”, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Otolaryngology, New York City, June 26, 2008
- “Comparing Steroids vs. Lasix for Facial Edema”. International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery National Meeting, Chicago, 2003
- “Hair Restoration Surgery-Basic”. Master’s Seminar @ American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Annual meeting, San Diego, 2002.
“My greatest accomplishments have always been as part of a team and over the past several years, my wife Edith and I have been blessed with bringing three beautiful children in the world.”